We believe that preparing globally competent students begins with a rigorous curriculum including:
- Interdisciplinary problem-based learning
- Cultural awareness
- World language immersion
- Community collaboration
- Service learning
- Leadership opportunities
- Business partnerships
- Educationally based travel
Upon completion of the program, JAGS students will possess the skills necessary to lead, cultivate and communicate their own ideas, excel in their chosen career paths, and work collaboratively to successfully navigate our global society.
JAGS Students must successfully complete a JAGS 4 year course plan, 80 hours of community service, a portfolio and a capstone project to receive a Certificate of Global Studies from Jackson High School and the International Studies School Network.
JAGS students will:
- Use the International Studies Schools Network Model (ISSN) to
- Investigate the World
- Recognize Perspective
- Communicate ideas and…
- Take action!
- Work to become fluent in one of three world languages: Chinese, French, or Spanish.
- Travel to experience different cultures and global understandings.
- Learn through real world/service learning/community projects.
- Develop 21st century work skills such as effective use of technology, critical and creative thinking, collaboration and communication.
- Create an ISSN global competency portfolio and senior capstone project based upon their work during their 4 years in the academy.
Investigate the World
Globally competent students are aware, curious, and interested in learning about the world and how it works.
Globally competent students recognize that they have a particular perspective, and that others may or may not share it.
Globally competent students can effectively communicate, verbally and non-verbally, with diverse audiences.
Globally competent students have the skills and knowledge to not just learn about the world, but also to make a difference in the world.
JAGS Teachers will:
- Challenge students to grow academically, excel as independent learners and become globally competent.
- Work through problem-based learning activities to help students meet their individual learning goals.
- Use a variety of assessment methods to determine student progress towards their goals.
- Set clear expectations and manage classrooms well, helping students to feel safe in school, to share their perspectives and able to succeed.
- Receive top-quality, ongoing professional development from International Studies Schools Network Coaches so that they are well-equipped to help all students succeed.
JAGS will prepare students for college by developing skills in leadership, critical thinking, analysis, and problem solving. JAGS offers students real world opportunities to work with business and community leaders outside of the classroom. Upon graduation, JAGS students will be bi-lingual, engaged in their community and globally aware. Advanced Placement courses are offered to 10th, 11th, and 12th grade JAGS students. Post-secondary and Career Tech options are available to 11th and 12th grade students.
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE ABOUT JAGS AND OUR COURSE OF STUDY.