My Home Page
Welcome to Jackson Middle School
My name is Mr. Debevec and I'm excited to start the 2019-2020 school year. Please feel free to call me or email me if you have any questions about Physical Education.
E-Mail = tfd2jc2jackson.sparcc.org
Phone # = (330) 830-8024
WHAT IS PHYSICAL EDUCATION?
Physical education teaches students the importance and value of a physically active lifestyle. There are a variety of benefits to be gained through participation in a physical education class. Personal health, social skills, self-esteem, motor skills and knowledge base are areas that can be positively impacted. The philosophy of the Jackson Middle School physical education department is to ensure that students understand and are able to use the acquired knowledge from participation in physical education and can apply it to daily life by:
- Developing the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions to live a healthy lifestyle
- Cultivate a true appreciation for the content
- Prepare to be physically active members of a diverse society
- Be equipped with the knowledge and skills to be physically activie over the course fo their lives
- Value physical activity and its contribution to a healthy lifestyle
- Foster joy in movement, an enthusiasm for physical activity and the development of skilled performance
- Pursue a lifetime of healthful physical activity
- Encourage adoption of appropriate behaviors that will lead to healthy, active lifestyles.
WHAT IS A PHYSICALLY EDUCATED PERSON?
A physically educated person:
- demonstrates competency in the motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
- demonstrates understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies and tactics as they apply to the learning and perfomance of physical activities.
- particpates regularly in physical activity.
- achieves and maintains a health enhancing level of physical fitness
- exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others within physical activity settings
- values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self expression, and or social interaction
BENEFITS OF DAILY PARTICIPATION IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION
- improves strength and endurance
- helps control body composition
- helps build and maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints
- reduces stress, anxiety, and depression
- increases self esteem and promotes psychological well-being
- reduces the risk of developing diabetes, heart diseases and other health issues
- may improve blood pressure and cholesterol levels
WHAT DOES RESEARCH SAY ABOUT LEARNING AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY?
Physical activity is good not only for the heart, but also for the brain. Physical activity feeds the brain with glucose and oxygen, and increases nerve connections making it easier for children of all ages to learn. Numerous studes show that children who exercise do better in school (Newsweek, 1996)