Reading Skills Games
Text Structure GamesReading TopicsMain Idea
- Finding the Main Idea - Read the passages and answer the questions.
- Get The Idea - Read the text to determine the main idea or essential message and identify relevant supporting details and facts.
- Identify the Main Idea - Read and answer 4 questions.
- Identify the Main Idea - Read and answer 6 questions.
- Main Idea and Supporting Detail - Choose the main idea of the paragraphs. Remember to make sure the main idea covers the entire paragraph, not just one sentence.
- Reading Detective - Quia quiz - Read each paragraph carefully. Decide what it is mostly about.
- Reading Headlines - Read eight headlines and try to determine what the article is about.
- Strategies for Better Reading - When you summarize, eliminate unnecessary details. Focus on the main idea of the whole passage.
- Understanding What You Read - Online interactive tutorial and quiz.
- What's the Big Idea - Solve a riddle by answering questions about the main idea.Author's Purpose
Cause and Effect
- Different Text Types - [game] Learn about the different text types (persuasion, informative, descriptive, or instructive) with this game.
- Different Types of Text - [3 quizzes] Understand the purpose of different text types.
- Game - Author's Purpose - Matching game. Determine if the author's purpose is to inform, entertain or persuade.
- Adverb Clauses: Cause and Effect Relationships - Complete the statement to create a cause and effect.
- Cause and Effect Transitions - Combine two sentences using connecting words to show cause and effect.
- Cause and Effect - Matching Quia Quiz
- Cause and Effect quizzes - Quiz One | Quiz Two | Quiz Three | Quiz Four |Quiz Five
- Finding Errors in Cause/Effect Paragraphs - Click on the error in the use of cause/effect conjunctions. Links to other paragraphs are at the end of this one.
- What Caused It? - Identify cause and effect patterns in text (science content is used to teach this reading skill).Comprehension
- Bees - Read a passage and answer five questions. (only works in Internet Explorer)
- Comprehension Through Context Clues - Select reading for understandingand then choose a skill level.
- Dr. Stripp - Reading Ring - Put the comic strips in sequence, then answer questions about the comic strip.
- Drawing Conclusions - Read the story and choose the correct word to complete the sentence.
- Drawing Conclusions - Read the story and choose correct answer.
- The Happy Monkey - Read a passage and answer five questions. (only works in Internet Explorer)
- Inference Battleship - Make the correct inference before your enemy sinks your battleship.
- Inference Riddle Game - Guess using riddles - infer what is being described by the clues you read.
- Practice Making Inferences - Use the clues to answer the three question multiple choice quiz.
- Reading the Fine Print - Students read advertisements to practice reading critically.
- Strategies for Better Reading - By reading between the lines you can discover meaning not stated by the author.
- Truth in Advertising - Students read advertisements and evaluate the type of persuasive writing being employed.OAA Practice Sites
- Context Clues - Multiple-choice quiz, includes answers.
- Cows context clue - Build corrals for cows by reading and answering questions.
- Using Context Clues - Three matching activities. Use the pull-down boxes to match the item on the left to the corresponding item on the right.
- What are Context Clues - Lesson with quiz.
- What's My Meaning - [4 different Quia games] Match words with meanings -Matching | Concentration | Flash Cards | Word Search
- Word Jungle - Choose the correct meaning to swing in jungle.