1. Read to SelfThe best way to become a better reader is by practicing each day, with books the students choose and are a "Good Fit".
2. Work on Writing
Just like reading, the best way to become a better writer is by practicing writing each day.3. Read to SomeonePartner reading allows for more time to practice strategies, helping to build fluency, check for understanding, hear their own voice and time to share in this learning community.4. Word WorkExpanded vocabulary and correct spelling allow for more fluent reading and writing thus speeding up the ability to comprehend what is read and get thinking down on paper.
5. Listen to ReadingHearing good examples of literature and fluent reading expands your vocabulary, builds stamina and helps you become a better reader.I PICK "Good Fit Books"
The students are taught from day one about choosing and selecting books that are just right for their reading level. They are called "Good Fit Books".
1. I pick a book
2. P urpose (What's my purpose for choosing this book? )
3. I nterest (Does this book interest me?)
4. C omprehend (Can I comprehend what I'm reading?)
5. K now (Do I know most of the words?)
Three Ways to Read a Book
1. Read the pictures
2. Read the words
3. Retell the story