I have tried to include as much information in the handbook as possible, but please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. I also recommend visiting the district website for links for rules, procedures, and other information. You can view the Jackson Local Schools website here: www.jackson.stark.k12.oh.us.
Mrs. Heather Shaffer
330-830-8028, ext. 5139
7503 Mudbrook St. NW
Massillon, Ohio 44646
Principal: Mr. J.R. Reindel
Office Secretary: Mrs. Cheri Kress
Guidance Counselor: Mrs. Amy Cornell
Office Aides: Mrs. Hohenadel/Mrs. Drury
School Nurse: Mrs. Stoltz
Newsletters & Communication:
* The Home Folder and Class Dojo will be your child’s primary means of communication between home and school.
* The Home Folder will come to and from school everyday as a way to transport important papers or notes from home or school. It will be your child’s responsibility to check this folder every morning as they arrive to school, although I will help to remind them as well. As your child arrives at home, please check their Home Folder daily for notes and papers from school.
* Class Dojo is an app and website that is the fastest way to communicate with me. I will post reminders, updates and classroom happenings that you won’t want to miss! Please be sure to get connected and set up notifications to be aware of updates and messages. **Although Class Dojo is commonly used for behavior, I prefer to use my own system of rewards and consequences using paper tickets. A more detailed description can be found in the “Classroom Discipline and Rewards”section of this handbook.
* Email and voicemail are also options to get in touch with me. I check my voicemail and email at least once in the morning and after school. I will return your calls and emails as quickly as possible.
* You will receive a newsletter every Friday, which will include exciting news in our classroom as well as curriculum updates, homework assignments and other reminders. Newsletters are also uploaded to Class Dojo for easy access.
Parent Pick-Up / Drop-Off / Early Dismissals:
If there are any changes with your child’s normal transportation, please send the following information in writing (not through Class Dojo) in your child’s Home folder:
➡ Your child’s first AND last name
➡ The date and time your child will be picked up from the office
➡ Who will be picking your child up (Your child will only be released to the people you list on your emergency card.)
*** Without a note, your child will be sent home on their assigned bus. Please see the Sauder Elementary attendance policies for more information regarding early dismissals. These rules have been implemented to ensure your child’s safety.
*** Student pick-up after school and morning drop-offs are allowed through the South entrance (facing Mudbrook). If your child arrives before 8:45am, they will wait with a staff member in the gym before being released to their classroom. If your child arrives late (after 8:55) you will have to park and come into the office to sign them in. For afternoon parent pick-up, do not get out of your car while in the line - a teacher will come to you with your child. The parent pick-up line begins dismissing students after buses are dismissed at 3:30.
***Please know that it is a school-wide rule that children are not permitted to be signed out in the office after a school event, including classroom parties. If you plan to take your child home after a school event, you must send in a note that morning, and pick up your child using the Parent Pick-Up Line. This rule has been implemented to ensure your child’s safety.
As a reminder, you must show identification to get a visitor badge printed with your name and destination. To enter the school, you need to be buzzed in through the main office. The secretary will ask you your name and the purpose of your visit. Unfortunately, there will not be visitors for lunch this year.
Students should wear their ID badge to school every day. The badges will be scanned when they get on and off the bus, when purchasing lunch, when checking out books in the library, and to log into Clever on the computer. If your child loses their badge and needs a replacement, contact me or the main office and a new one will be issued. The first replacement is free, then there will be a charge for any future replacements.
Breakfasts and lunches are free this year, however students pay for “extra main” and a la carte items such as extra milk, snacks and ice cream. Sauder uses a computer system for lunch accounts. You can add money to your child’s account online (www.payforit.net) or your child can add money to their lunch accounts in the morning. The lunch menu can be found on the school website. The lunch menu can be found on the school website
Birthday Treats & Out-of-School Parties:
Birthdays are such an exciting time for first graders! The children like to bring treats to school to share with their classmates. You may choose to provide snack for the class, as long as it is store bought and includes an ingredient label. Individually wrapped items are preferred. Also, no gum please. You could also consider bringing in a non-food item, such as stickers, pencils, or other party favors. Summer birthdays will be celebrated at the end of the school year. **Due to hurt feelings, birthday invitations for parties outside of school cannot be passed out at school unless ALL boys and/or girls in the class are invited. Thank you for understanding!
I will send home Scholastic book orders throughout the year. This is certainly not required but can be a nice resource if you’re looking for birthday/holiday gift ideas or simply to build your home library. I will send a reminder in the weekly newsletter as well as Class Dojo, but please do not feel obligated to order!. All ordering is done online and is so easy and orders can now be delivered right to your house!
Here’s how you can order:
- SIGN UP at www.scholastic.com/bookclubs. On the parent page, click the "Register" button in the "First Time Here?" section. Register for your account.
- When prompted, enter the one-time Class Activation Code: GKVHC.
- SELECT the books you'd like to order.
- SEND your order to me online by the due date and your child's books will be delivered directly to my classroom within 2 weeks after the due date.
The first graders will be eating snack in the afternoon this year. Please send a nutritional snack (no candy) to school with your child everyday to be kept in your child’s locker until snack time. I highly recommended sending in enough snacks for the week, to be sure your child has something to provide energy and keep them alert everyday. A friendly reminder will come home if your child needs to use one of the extra snacks. Also, if you would like to donate to the “Extra Snack” bin, it is always appreciated!
Show & Tell:
Students will have a turn every other Friday to bring something in for Show and Tell. This is an excellent oral language activity for your child and their classmates. The children really enjoy listening and asking questions about the “treasures” their classmates bring in. Remember to only send one item with your child that can easily be carried to school in their book bag. Check the weekly newsletter to find out when it is your child’s turn.
Monday - Thursday nights: 15 minutes of nightly reading
It is important for your child to practice their reading strategies every day at home. Reading assignments will be posted in the weekly newsletter and will consist of a “Book-in-a-Bag”, library book, choosing a book from home to read, or completing the Poetry Folder paper. Please check the newsletter each week to stay up-to-date on assignments.
Math: Due by Friday (optional)
There will be math homework assignments reviewing skills we have already covered in class. Because this is optional homework, completed pages can be turned in at any time throughout the week for a reward ticket! Please try not to work ahead. Also, please note that there will be pages not assigned as homework, but you may choose to have your child complete.